• April 24, 2014, 10:12:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Notice: If you have a gmail account you will be unable to join the membership using any gmail.com email accounts due to russian & Chineese spammers.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: puyallup closing for two days a week.  (Read 1491 times)

scott080379

• Brookie
  • Buy/Sell feedback +0/-0
puyallup closing for two days a week.
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:55:35 AM »

got this info from another site and figured I would pass it along to everyone here.  

Lower section of the Puyallup River will
close two days a week to sport fishing
[/b]

OLYMPIA - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is closing the recreational fishery on the lower section of the Puyallup River two days a week through the end of September due to safety concerns.

Recreational salmon fishing on the river will be closed from noon Sundays to noon Tuesdays, Sept. 13-15, Sept. 20-22 and Sept. 27-29 in the portion of the river extending from the 11th Street Bridge in Tacoma to the City of Puyallup Outfall Structure across the river from the junction of Freeman Road and North Levee Road. This section of the river flows through the Puyallup Tribe's reservation.

Recreational fishing will remain open seven days a week upstream of the closed section. The lower section will reopen seven days a week beginning at noon Sept. 29.

With a strong return of pink salmon this year, hundreds of recreational anglers are fishing the river, which is also open to tribal fishing two days a week, said Pat Pattillo, salmon policy coordinator for WDFW.

"Unfortunately, we've received reports about gear conflicts and other incidents between the two groups, raising public safety concerns," Pattillo said. "To reduce the safety risk and ensure that the tribe and the state can conduct an orderly fishery, the department is closing this section of the river."

Pattillo said WDFW enforcement officers will patrol the river to ensure the sport fishery closure is being observed.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • Summer Steel
  • Buy/Sell feedback +1/-0
    • www.washingtonfishingfools.com
Re: puyallup closing for two days a week.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 09:00:58 AM »

cool, now the puyallup indians wont have to catch fisherman in their nets like last year and the years before.
shame the state will go above and beyond for the tribes and poop on the heads of the sportys.

bigcutty

• Summer Steel
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »

wow, now they get help.... how come we dont get any help? we just get the river shut down because of the whinning of the tribes, i bet they over net as well, and i bet the silver run will not be super great like everyone is expecting, as they will hammer them far before we have a chance...thanks wa state, now jack up our taxes to help the indians fund their fishing trips..

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • Summer Steel
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »

i dont want this to turn into a tribal  bashing discussion please.

its more of a WDFW bashing discussion for doing what they are doing.

bigcutty

• Summer Steel
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »

im not saying it that way sir, well i didnt intend it to come out that way...sorry about that, its just really irritating that we, taxpayers, sportfishers, ect have to lose something because noone can get along, those dates are all sundays and mondays as well, the first 2 days of the netting schedule, theres a cycle in that river, and noone is seeing it, and it irritates the heck out of me....

outfishin7

• Cabezon
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »

This sucks!  Not that I ever get to fish the Puyallup or even care about fishing the Puyallup but we had to get the state to come in like a referee or a better relate like the parents of little kids and seperate us so we can all get along and fish.  The key point there is seperate us.  Not sure if you all are watching whats going on in California and really whats going on right now in our state with the MLPAs but the real deal is this.  If we can't all find a way to get along, and work TOGETHER, that means sporty's commercials and TRIBES we stand to lose all of our fishing PERIOD!  Think about that and while you're saying it could never happen watch very closely what's going on in California now, the tree huggers are winning cuz the angling community was too busy fighting amongst themselves to get off their butts pull together and fight.  Whining about the nets, whining about what the commercials get to do verse what the tribes get to do verse what the sportys get.  Now there's a really good chance that NOONE gets anything!  Sound familiar?  "If you can't share your ball I'm just going to take it away!!"  Now the tree huggers are just sitting back and laughing cuz they got their way, and we did it to ourselves and hey guess what, Oregon is next and they're already working on Washington. 

So what are we going to do?  Whine cuz they closed the river for 2 days and get bitter or say we brought it on ourselves and find a way to work together and make sure it doesn't happen again so our kids MIGHT have a chance to fish when they're our age?!?!?  Are we going to be the kids or the adults?

kentuckytom

• Herring
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 10:56:07 AM »

You know I seen a lot of people at sports co buying up all the rods and reels just to go fishing on the puyallup this year. You would think that the fishermen play a big role in helping out the econmy. confused013

CORKY MQ

• The Big Tuna
  • Honored Member
  • Sea run Cutt
  • "The one and only" Master Baiter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »

i dont like the tribal way of harvest any more than the next guy, But the fact is they are allowed to get 50% of the fish...

So in order for that to happen they need to be able to do their thing w/o interference from the white man.  So the WDFW had to do this because of conflicts on the riverbank between the 2 user groups.

Its not like the whole river is shut down,its just one area, and its only a portion of the week.  Who wants to fish after Noon on a sunday anyways... thats when you should be watching football! :thumb2:

There are other places on the Puke to fish and get fish, or theres other rivers that are full of better quality fish right now to go to..

Dont want to sound like a dik
Just my .02., I tire of the me me me attitude sometimes...

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • Summer Steel
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »

no argument intended, but the WDFW needs to be on the bank and COUNT each and every fish retained in a central landing/count processing area regardless of how they catch, trap or net their fish wether in pugetsound, each river, harbor, ocean, lake or stream with expensive penalties for over retention of any fish or fish parts, two skeins of eggs equals one fish, two sacs of sperm is one fish, you get the idea..

I dont care how they fish, just 50% is 50%

bigcutty

• Summer Steel
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 08:40:40 PM »

phish, 2 skeins of eggs should equal say, 1200 fish, as some have much much more than that, they do it with weed, they determine how much the plant will produce, even when it could be a male, and produce nothing, they should do it like that for survival rate, and in some fish, go to 3000 illegal fish....maybe that might wake ALL people up, illegally fishing, over netting, whatever the case, i dont illegally fish, so i have nothing to worry about, as should all fisherman, period.... if you enjoy fishing, as obvously all of us do, things are gonna need to change on both sides, not just the tribe, and not just the sportys, cuz when we run out of money, they can help fund it, as the have quite a bit, only time will tell tho, but laws need to be way more strict... why cant they long line? would be a great way of catching, but with minimal death to fish that are ESA listed...

CORKY MQ

• The Big Tuna
  • Honored Member
  • Sea run Cutt
  • "The one and only" Master Baiter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 08:43:21 AM »

fish from all user groups are supposed to be counted.  Ours on Punch cards, and theirs on their fish tickets. 

I know there is some fish missing on both sides, as many sporties either dont mark all their fish, or dont turn in thier punchcards just as there is Indians selling fish under bridges and on street corners or at their front doors  as they do here on the Nasty.  But ive seen them turning thier fish over to the buyers, and they get checked.  Neither our system or theirs is perfect, but neither has the manpower to enforce 100% compliance.

I get very frustrated with the way the Natives Rape everything in the river w/ gillnets.  No way to be selective.  They kill native fish, they kill fish that are already too dark to be worth anything commercially, it just sucks.  Soooo..  I remove myself from thise rivers that have the nets in, and fish those; like the cowletz that have no nets and plenty of access and lots of willing biters!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 23 queries.